Friday, 12 April 2013

Swim Class

Yesterday was a good day. So good it deserves to be blogged.

First we got up and actually got dressed. Most of our days off we are wearing Jammie's and comfy clothes, but not for today. Our first stop was the Ontario Early Years Centre. We used to go at least once a week, but since Madelyn started school, I guess you could say we have been busy! But we went and it was so fun! People marvelled at how big Myles has gotten and he really enjoyed playing with new toys and new kids. Especially loved the Cozy Coupe. I may take just him back so he can ride again! One mom and I discussed Myles' amber teething necklace and extended breast feeding. Nothing like bonding over mutual crunchiness.

The girls made new friends and it was fun for me to see them interact with other kids. Their social skills have really improved since the fall. At one point, Madelyn found a ball that she really liked and I guess she set it down and another boy picked it up and wouldn't let it go. She came over to me crying and as I tried to console her and reaffirm that the toys were for everyone, not just get, I saw Meredith get up and sit beside this little boy and talk to him. She didn't look angry while talking, but she got up and kinds stomped back to her toy while muttering. When I asked her what happened, "that boy's not listening to me!" She must have asked the boy to give the ball to her sister and he must have said no. Regardless of the ball, it was neat to see the girls sticking up for each other like that.

The kids also enjoyed circle time. And it reminded me of easy games we can play at home.

After our EYC adventure, we picked up lunch (McDonald's for the kids and Wendy's for me... A little in moderation can't hurt, right) and headed home. Myles fell asleep in the car, so his nap was short, but he handled it pretty well, all things considered.

We normally do some sort if art at the EYC, but we did mostly gross motor skills this day, so we did a craft of sorts at home. Just traced our handprints and coloured them into some animals. So easy, yet the girls had a blast! Myles, however, had an epic fit when I tried to trace his hand. Not sure why. I guess he just wanted to do it himself.

Then we had a quick supper and it was off to the girls' very first swim class! So hard letting someone else be on charge of them! I an glad they had each other totals to during downtime, but it sort of seemed like they were goofing off at one point! Although, I did see Madelyn put Meredith's hand back to the side of the pool, guiding her to do the right thing. They did very well and were the only two in their five person class that wanted to go down the slide! I have two fishes-- three if the way Myles loves his bath are any indication!